The movements we teach are based on the original dance movements from the Cuban Son dancing of the 1930s. This dance was heavily influenced by the beat of Son Montuno and the dances of Danzon, Mambo, and Guaguanco – along with many other types of Afro-Cuban folk dancing.
There are a number of different styles of salsa dancing, many of which developed as a part of local culture and based on geographical diversity and cultural influences. Among these are Cali-style (from Colombia), Cuban-style ("Casino"), LA-style (linear), New York-style, and Puerto Rican-style – Sydney Dance World teaches all styles with a particular focus on L.A/Linear style.
Salsa is the most popular partner dance in the world! Once you learn to lead and follow you can enjoy this dance anywhere!
This level is for absolute beginners who have no experience in Salsa dancing or dancing in general. If you have never taken a Salsa lesson or less than 6 lessons this is the level for you.
Level 1 - Advanced Beginners
For those who have learnt the basics and foundation steps. Approximately 6-12 classes of linear style.
Level 2 - Improvers
For those that have done 12-18 weeks of linear style Salsa.
Level 3 - Intermediate
For students who have been dancing linear style Salsa for 4-6 months minimum.
If you are unsure of your level please call us to find out which class would suit you best.
Learn to have fun with dancing
We offer affordable salsa dance lessons in Chatswood, Crows Nest, Artarmon, Mosman, North Sydney and Manly. Once you have mastered the basic steps and movements, you will learn to develop your own individual style and do what the dance was created for – to express yourself and have fun.
Whether you’re a regular at our salsa dance classes or it’s your first class in the North Shore/Northern Beaches – the most important thing to remember is that Salsa is meant to be enjoyable!
Once we have taught you the basic steps – which most people find relatively easy to learn – the dance relies on your ability to relax, have fun and interpret the music in your own way.
What you should know about our salsa dance classes in Sydney:
When you attend salsa dance classes in Chatswood, there are a few things you need to know before you show up for your first salsa dance lessons. Most of them have to do with what you should be wearing for your salsa dance lessons in Sydney. Salsa is a very active dance and as you have no doubt seen the clothes that many dancers wear are quite stunning. While these clothes are perfect for the dance floor, they are not so practical in salsa dance classes.
What to wear:
It is best to wear casual, comfortable clothing which allows you the freedom to move.
For the Ladies:
For the ladies we recommend wearing comfortable dance wear such as lycra leggings, leotard tops, t-shirts and singlet tops, dance skirt over leggings. You can wear heels or flat shoes but make sure that your footwear is secure on your feet. ie - no flip flops or slip in shoes.
For the Men:
For the men we suggest casual wear such as jeans and shirt or t-shirt, leather work shoes or leather slip-on shoes or boots. You may find runners or sport shoes have a fair amount of grip on the floor and you won't be able to spin – and no flip flops please!
To find out more about our salsa dance classes in Sydney’s North Shore – including in Chatswood, Mosman, Crows Nest, Artarmon, Willoughby and North Sydney – contact us today!
TERMS & CONDITIONS :
Release of Liability :
By registering to attend any Sydney Dance World Dance classes, Private lessons or any orginised events, you agreed to the Release of Liability Agreement:
1. I am participating in classes or lessons or events, offered by Sydney Dance World. I recognise that dance classes/lessons/events requires physical exertion that may be strenuous and may cause physical injury, and I am fully aware of the risks involved.
2. I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation in the Lessons/classes/evets. I represent and warrant that I am physically fit and I have no medical condition that would prevent my participation in the Lessons/classes/events.
3. I understand that it is my responsibility to advise the instructor of any injuries or if I am pregnant so the instructor can provide suitable modifications where required.
4. In consideration of being permitted to participate in Classes/lessons/events, I agree to assume full responsibility for any risks, injuries or damages, known or unknown, which I might incur as a result of participating in the lessons/classes/events.
5. In further consideration of being permitted to participate in Classes/lessons/events, I knowingly, voluntarily and expressly waive any claim I may have against the owners, instructors, and assistants, individually or otherwise, of Sydney Dance World for damages, and injury that I may sustain as a result of participating in classes/lessons/events.
6. I, my heirs or legal representatives forever release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue Sydney Dance World injury or death caused by their negligence or other acts.
7. I will not hold responsible/sue Sydney Dance World, instructors or employees for any injuries suffered by me caused whole or in part by my failure to follow the instructions of you or your employees or by any physical impairment of mine not fully disclosed to you in writing.